This policy applies to www.ewb.ca domain and website (the “site”), which are operated by Engineers Without Borders Canada (“EWB-Canada”, “We” or “Us”), a registered Canadian charity.
EWB-Canada is committed to protecting your privacy.
To support our commitment to protecting your privacy, EWB-Canada has adopted Imagine Canada’s Ethical Fundraising and Financial Accountability Code and The Donor Bill of Rights. EWB-Canada is dedicated to being both transparent and accountable in dealing with the information that you choose to share with us.
Personal Information Defined
Personal Information is any information that can be used to distinguish, identify or contact a specific individual, as well as any other information where there is a serious possibility that it can be associated with an identifiable individual. This information can include an individual’s opinions or beliefs, as well as facts about, or related to, the identifiable individual.
Business contact information is not considered personal information, and certain publicly available information, such as names, addresses and telephone numbers as published in telephone directories, can be collected, used and disclosed in certain contexts without your consent.
Your Personal Information
Like most website operators, EWB collects non-personally-identifying information of the sort that web browsers and servers typically make available, such as the browser type, language preference, referring site, and the date and time of each visitor request. EWB’s purpose in collecting non-personally identifying information is to better understand how EWB visitors use its website.
When you sign up for a mailing list or send a message through this site, EWB may send you by e-mail. If at any time you would like to unsubscribe from our email list, you may do so by clicking here.
Cookies, Data Tracking & Management
We also use third-party services, such as Google Analytics and Quantcast Measure. This helps us understand traffic patterns and know if there are problems with our website. Google Analytics uses first and third party cookies, while Quantcast Measure uses third party cookies. You can read more about their respective practices above. We may also use embedded images in emails to track which emails are opened by our supporters and which emails receive a positive response (clicking on links, etc), so that we can tell which mailings appeal most to EWB supporters.
We also use Canopy Labs, a platform operated by 3dna, that helps us organize our members and supporters. Canopy Labs uses first and third party cookies in order to achieve this. In addition, we transfer some information you provide us to Canopy Labs to help us process it. For example, if you provide us with your email address in order to join our mailing list, Canopy Labs will store this email and help us process our list messaging activities. Canopy Labs can also allow us to link supporter profiles across different services. For example, if you provide us with your email address in order to join our mailing list, Canopy Labs helps us link your email to your Facebook or other social media account. For more information on the Canopy Labs platform, visit their website here: https://canopylabs.com/white-paper-privacy-policy
Disclosure of Personal Information
We do not share the information you’ve given us with unaffiliated groups without your explicit permission. We may share some of your personal information with the following groups:
- Third Party Service Providers – our database administrators, such as Google Analytics and Quantcast Measure. You can read more about their privacy policies above.
- Third Party Administrators – such as organizations we engage to facilitate large distribution of messages. The content of these emails will be from EWB and these third parties do not have direct access to your personally identifiable information.In addition, as explained below, we will sometimes co-host online engagement tools with campaign partners. Information entered into these engagement tools will be collected by us as well as by our campaign partners.With your explicit permission, we may pass along certain types of information about you to the following groups:
- Our petitions and campaigns may involve sharing personal information of supporters with groups including Canadian policy-makers, news publications and other targets when you choose to use one of our tools to send them messages.
- For petitions and email campaigns in which you’ve participated, we may make your name, location, and comments public—for example, we may provide compilations of petitions, with your comments, to Canadian policy makers and other targets, or to the press.
- We will not make your street address public, but we may transmit it to the designated target as part of a petition. This is a standard industry practice in such situations. EWB is not responsible for the use of your email address by campaign targets.By ‘explicit permission’ we mean, in each instance, we will ask additional permission from you before passing along information.
- We will also require from you some positive indication to demonstrate you have assented to the disclosure of information. The most typical example of this would be a letter campaign, where you enter your information into an internet-based form beside a message and click ‘Send Your Message’.
When you give EWB personal information, we take steps to ensure that your information is treated securely. Unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, while we strive to protect your personal information, EWB cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us, and you do so at your own risk. Once we receive your transmission, we make our best effort to ensure its security on our systems.
If we are required by law to disclose the information that you have submitted, we will attempt to provide you with notice (unless we are prohibited from doing so) that a request for your information has been made in order to give you an opportunity to object to the disclosure. We will attempt to provide this notice by email, if you have given us an email address, or by postal mail if you have entered a postal address. If you do not challenge the disclosure request, we may be legally required to turn over your information. In addition, we will sometimes independently object to requests for access to information about users of our site that we believe to be improper.
Sometimes, on a campaign by campaign basis, a coalition partner will be granted access to information you provide via a petition, online tool or email campaign. In such cases, links to the privacy policies of those coalition partners will appear on the campaign sign-up page.
Sending Emails Via EWB.ca
In certain cases, we enable you to send individual e-mails to Canadian policy makers through our website. Messages are sent in your name, with your e-mail address as the return address, and your full name and any contact information you provide is also included as part of the submission. You are solely responsible for the specific message(s) you send using our email tool. EWB takes no responsibility for the use of your message content or of your email address by campaign targets.
Use of Personal Information
We will use information you provide us to contact you for the purpose of informing you of our activities and campaigns. We also use your information to assess what information you might be interested in hearing about. For example, we may use the fact that you signed on to a particular campaign to gauge your interest (or lack thereof) in a future similar campaign. From time to time, we will also use your information to contact you for fundraising purposes.
From time to time, EWB may contact you by telephone if you shared your telephone number with us. If you would like to be removed permanently from our phone list, please email us at email@example.com with the subject line “UNSUBSCRIBE [YOUR PHONE NUMBER]”. Please allow 8-10 business days for your information to be removed.
Links to Other Websites
EWB may revise or amend this policy at any time at our sole discretion. If we make any substantive changes in the way we collect or use personally identifiable information provided by users, we will post a prominent announcement on our web site home page and post the changes on this page. We encourage users to visit this page periodically to review our current policy.
If you have any questions about this privacy statement, your personal information, or the practices of this Site, you can write to firstname.lastname@example.org.