Type: Business, Impact Measurement
Role: Village Energy Fellow: (Finance or Customer Impact Associate)
Venture: Village Energy
Location: Kampala, Uganda
Deadline: July 14, 2019
About Village Energy
Village Energy, founded in 2008, is a Ugandan solar startup that is piloting a last-mile distribution model for productive use of energy: custom solar installations (200W-10kW) for rural businesses, institutions and agriculture that enable improved incomes, job creation and access to services. Through our network of six branches and technicians across Uganda, we offer in-house design, procurement, PayGo financing, installation, remote monitoring and on-site servicing, thus de-risking solar adoption for rural customers.
Village Energy is one of the handful of women-led businesses and Ugandan-focused solar companies in East Africa.
More than 90 percent of Village Energy’s staff is local. The organization is committed to hiring locally. Village Energy has partnered with Engineers Without Borders Canada to support their growth in an internationally competitive environment dominated by internationally-run firms. Village Energy is seeking capacity building and experienced international talent to support the local team.
In partnership with Village Energy, as a Fellow with Engineers Without Borders Canada (EWB Canada), you will be placed as a Finance Associate with Village Energy to work with their team in Uganda. Throughout your Fellowship with EWB, you will receive guidance, mentorship and financial support from the community in Canada and in East and West Africa.
About Engineers Without Borders Canada
EWB is a free-thinking charitable organization that brings people and ideas together to tackle the most crucial causes of poverty and inequality. We nurture talent and leadership, enable social entrepreneurship and advocate for policy innovations to cross-breed systems-changing innovations to ensure economic and public opportunity reaches everyone, including the most underserved and marginalized populations, especially women and girls.
Through our leadership curriculum and Fellowships Program, we offer experiential learning opportunities in Canada and sub-Saharan Africa to launch future shapers equipped to understand and re-engineer complex social systems. For more information, visit ewb.ca.
We currently seek Fellows to work in the following roles:
- Finance Associate
- One of Village Energy’s key needs is around financial management and analytics. The organization is looking for someone with a well-rounded background in finance who is seeking to apply their skills across a variety of areas, including financial operations, accounting, loan portfolio management, budgeting, financing forecasting, and fundraising. As Finance Associate, you will be looked to for mentorship and building the capacity of your teammates. Village Energy is excited to offer an opportunity for you to grow your skill set and to equip you for your future CFO role!
- Customer Impact Associate
- One of our key needs is in measuring the impact of our solutions on increasing livelihoods, job creation, and access to the services of our customers and beneficiaries. Understanding this will be critical for driving sales, as our sales team can use the information to help our clients to pick the solution that will maximize ROI for them. This is related to another need in setting up a customer satisfaction/feedback process to improve our service offering. We are looking for a candidate who has a strong background in monitoring and evaluation who is looking to apply his/her skill set in a dynamic social business environment with the opportunity to inform and influence Village Energy’s product and service offering.
As a Fellow for Village Energy, your responsibilities will include:
- Working within the department to which you are assigned to help identify opportunities to drive business forward and support growth opportunities and initiatives;
- Facilitating smooth running of company business in the communities it serves;
- Assisting with the overall operations including carrying out general administrative tasks.
Skills & Qualifications
- Masters or Undergraduate Degree or Diploma in any relevant field;
- Strong problem-solving skills;
- Strong time management, organizational, and prioritization skills;
- Excellent communication skills on all levels;
- Relentless desire to improve yourself, your team, and your organization;
- A collaborative mentality.
- For inquiries about the EWB Fellowship experience, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For inquiries about the role with Village Energy, please contact: Meghan Kubic
For further details, please refer to our website.