Type: Business, Technology Development
Role: Sprout Insure Fellow
Venture: Sprout Insure
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Deadline: July 14, 2019
About Sprout Insure
Sprout Insure is an Insurtech startup that provides a platform to protect small-scale farmers from climate change risk by facilitating insurance contracts on blockchain. Less than 3% of small-scale farmers in Sub-Saharan Africa have access to insurance. Meanwhile, climate change is increasingly exposing farmers to extreme weather. Sprout makes insurance attractive and affordable with an automated solution that works with insurance companies. Sprout is a spin-off of Annona, a social enterprise that has a wealth of experience working in global food trade from East Africa to Europe. Sprout Insure believes that blockchain can increase trust and reduce transaction costs, making financial products affordable for farmers and profitable for service providers.
In partnership with Sprout Insure, as a Fellow with Engineers Without Borders Canada (EWB Canada), you will be placed with Sprout Insure to work with their team in Kenya. Throughout your Fellowship with EWB, you will receive guidance, mentorship and financial support from the community in Canada and in East and West Africa.
About Engineers Without Borders Canada
EWB is a free-thinking charitable organization that brings people and ideas together to tackle the most crucial causes of poverty and inequality. We nurture talent and leadership, enable social entrepreneurship and advocate for policy innovations to cross-breed systems-changing innovations to ensure economic and public opportunity reaches everyone, including the most underserved and marginalized populations, especially women and girls.
Through our leadership curriculum and Fellowships Program, we offer experiential learning opportunities in Canada and sub-Saharan Africa to launch future shapers equipped to understand and re-engineer complex social systems. For more information, visit ewb.ca.
We are looking for someone with a passion for the intersection of social business and technology to join our team at Sprout Insure. You will work directly with the CEO and Program Coordinator to match our business strategies with our technology. Projects at our organization vary from being responsible for liaising and designing with our current and future business partners to matching our product needs with our strategy and phase. You’ll be working alongside blockchain and web developers, both mobile and web, as well as external stakeholders we partner with and fund us. The EWB fellow will help us lead the direction of the product while managing the day-to-day strategic communication between partners.
As a Fellow at Sprout Insure, your responsibilities could be in any department. Your tasks may notably include:
- Working within your specialization to help identify opportunities to grow insurance uptake;
- Identifying potential project risks and elevating to senior stakeholders for mitigation and/or changes to strategy;
- Working with the finance team to support the introduction of new financial management systems such as timesheets and project code;
- Supporting new partnership development, through identifying, researching and supporting outreach and engagement;
- Designing a key set of features in our Android application;
- Managing external stakeholders through grant writing and management while collating and maintaining client information in the CRM database;
- Launching a new sales channel to 1 million farmers with our partners.
Sound exciting? Here’s who we are looking for:
Skills & Qualifications
- Familiarity with Blockchain or Web Technologies;
- Ability to communicate product development needs and organize stakeholders with varying levels of familiarity with technology, from basic to expert;
- Powerful PowerPoint or Keynote presentation creating skills;
- A strong passion to improve yourself, your team, and your organization;
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and work under pressure;
- Results-oriented attitude;
- Ability to communicate with international stakeholders.
- For inquiries about the EWB Fellowship experience, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For inquiries about the role with Sprout Insure, please contact: Ashley King-Bischof
For further details, please refer to our website.