- Role: Spatial Analyst
- Venture: Burro
- Location: Koforidua, Ghana
Burro® sells quality products that help our customers save more and earn more. From simple innovations like our home solar power systems, to the world’s most fuel-efficient gari roaster, the Elephant™, Burro products deliver better living affordably. Our collaborative, innovative, and dynamic team is making a real difference in the lives of real people across Ghana and beyond. You’re welcome to join in the magic Burro is creating.
This is an opportunity to accelerate a project vital to our mission while immersing yourself professionally and culturally with Ghanaians from all walks of life. Burro elevates, celebrates, and develops smart, collaborative, problem-solving, hard-working, civic-minded, entrepreneurial leaders—so expect fast-paced learning, an inspirational mission, and regular demands to step up and live up to Burro’s promise, Do More.
As a Spatial Analyst for Burro, your responsibilities will include:
- Expand Burro’s core spatial data assets drawing upon public domain sources in collaboration with educational, governmental, NGO, and private institutions.
- Work with Team Burro to articulate, prioritize, and answer questions amenable to spatial data analysis such as: the location of remaining off-grid communities, identification of areas with high potential for dry season vegetable farming, and early-warning of crop stress.
- Collaborate with Burro’s Founder (leader of the team that created the Encarta World Atlas) and ICT Manager to integrate spatial data into Burro’s Management Information System.
- Refine Burro’s spatial data collection usage strategy and practices.
- Collaborate with Team Burro to build Burro’s organizational capacity to continue all initiatives post-fellowship.
Sound exciting? Here’s who we are looking for.
Skills & Qualifications
- An undergraduate degree in a relevant subject including at least two years of advanced coursework in GIS at the undergraduate level or one year at the graduate level. At least one course in remote sensing strongly preferred.
- At least 2-years’ experience using GIS professionally, with QGIS preferred. Additional professional experience in remote sensing strongly preferred. Dream candidate would have deep backend expertise integrating PostgreSQL into a SQL Server environment, particularly establishing, configuring, maintaining, and operating a multi-user PostGIS environment with QGIS clients.
- Demonstrated ability to collect, analyze, and visualize geographic information.
- Experience with smallholder farmer-related information is a plus.
- Willing to relocate to Koforidua with frequent travel throughout Ghana
- Passion for delivering on Burro’s promise—Do More