Role: Senior Mechanical, Electrical, and Plumbing (MEP) Engineer
Venture: Orkidstudio Limited
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Deadline: July 14, 2019
Orkidstudio is a rapidly growing social enterprise based in Nairobi, Kenya, and working across East Africa and Zambia. Orkidstudio strives to create dignified, safe and healthy buildings through an exceptional end-to-end design and construction process, which uses local materials and promotes opportunities for women. We are seeking an experienced building systems engineer to join our expanding team.
In partnership with Orkidstudio, as a Fellow with Engineers Without Borders Canada (EWB Canada), you will be placed as Senior MEP Engineer with Orkidstudio to work with their team in Kenya. Throughout your Fellowship with EWB, you will receive guidance, mentorship and financial support from the community in Canada and in East and West Africa.
About Engineers Without Borders Canada (EWB)
EWB is a free-thinking charitable organization that brings people and ideas together to tackle the most crucial causes of poverty and inequality. We nurture talent and leadership, enable social entrepreneurship and advocate for policy innovations to cross-breed systems-changing innovations to ensure economic and public opportunity reaches everyone, including the most underserved and marginalized populations, especially women and girls.
Through our leadership curriculum and Fellowships Program, we offer experiential learning opportunities in Canada and sub-Saharan Africa to launch future shapers equipped to understand and re-engineer complex social systems. For more information, visit ewb.ca.
Orkidstudio’s unique selling point in East Africa is its end-to-end service, which began with architecture and construction services. Quantity surveying quickly followed as a critical piece of toolkit, and we’ve recently taken on our first structural engineer. As the last missing piece of a truly end-to-end design-build service, we aim to catalyze the development and institutionalizing of a fully capable and diverse building systems engineering team. The EWB Fellow will be instrumental in strategizing, setting standards, and building capacity of our first MEP engineers – and further improving our award-winning design work.
As a Senior MEP Engineer for Orkidstudio your responsibilities will include:
- Prepare electrical, plumbing, and HVAC design calculations, specifications, and reports;
- Oversee production of both outline and detailed design, and construction drawings;
- Manage and mentor a team of junior engineers;
- Compiling bills of quantities as related to mechanical, plumbing, and electrical building components;
- Assisting architectural design through value management and value engineering including comparative cost analysis;
- Selection of equipment for use in building systems;
- Assisting in the production of detailed and accurate schedules;
- Review contractor method statements and commissioning processes;
- Review contractor shop drawings against design drawings for adherence to design intent;
- Ensure coordination of MEP elements with themselves, and across architectural, structural, and other disciplines;
- Review proposed fixtures and fitting to ensure standard of quality in materials;
- Compiling of MEP specifications.
Sound exciting? Here’s who we are looking for.
Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in relevant MEP Engineering field;
- Working towards, or a Chartered or Incorporated member of a relevant professional national regulatory body in engineering;
- Excellent verbal and written English language communication skills;
- Commercial awareness;
- A clear sense of direction and the ability to contribute effectively in a vibrant team environment;
- A disciplined approach to company processes including finance and procurement procedures;
- Diligence in maintaining company documents;
- Highly numerate and analytical both quantitatively and qualitatively;
- Ability to think critically and problem solve;
- Ability to spot ambiguity and provide clarity;
- Strong communication skills and a collaborative approach;
- Commitment to upholding the company’s social responsibility mandate;
- A desire for transparency in both working practice and the wider construction industry;
- Awareness of cross-cultural communication and ability to maintain constructive relationships with diverse set of key stakeholders;
- Adaptability within a fast moving and evolving work-space;
- High proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel;
- Knowledge of multiple contract types;
- Strong general knowledge of construction processes and building methods;
- Experience with AutoCAD and Autodesk Revit;
- Experience with building systems design software, ie: Dialux;
- Experience with sustainable water, electrical, and ventilation strategies;
- Experience with fire suppression systems.
- For inquiries about the EWB Fellowship experience, please contact: email@example.com
- For inquiries about the role with Orkidstudio, please contact: Jaime Velasco
For further details, please refer to our website.