Type: Business, Marketing, Communications
Role: Orkidstudio Fellow
Venture: Orkidstudio Limited
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Deadline: July 14, 2019
Orkidstudio is a rapidly growing social enterprise based in Nairobi, Kenya, and working across East Africa and Zambia. Orkidstudio strives to create dignified, safe and healthy buildings through an exceptional end-to-end design and construction process, which uses local materials and promotes opportunities for women. We are seeking an experienced and passionate persons with marketing and business development experience to join our expanding team.
In partnership with Orkidstudio, as a Fellow with Engineers Without Borders Canada (EWB Canada), you will be placed with Orkidstudio to work with their team in Kenya. Throughout your Fellowship with EWB, you will receive guidance, mentorship and financial support from the community in Canada and in East and West Africa.
About Engineers Without Borders Canada (EWB)
EWB is a free-thinking charitable organization that brings people and ideas together to tackle the most crucial causes of poverty and inequality. We nurture talent and leadership, enable social entrepreneurship and advocate for policy innovations to cross-breed systems-changing innovations to ensure economic and public opportunity reaches everyone, including the most underserved and marginalized populations, especially women and girls.
Through our leadership curriculum and Fellowships Program, we offer experiential learning opportunities in Canada and sub-Saharan Africa to launch future shapers equipped to understand and re-engineer complex social systems. For more information, visit ewb.ca.
Orkidstudio’s unique selling point in East Africa is its end-to-end service and human-centred process. The EWB Fellow will be instrumental in strategizing, setting standards, developing new relationships and building capacity through supporting our team – further improving our award-winning design and construction work.
As a Fellow for Orkidstudio your responsibilities will include:
- Working with a multidisciplinary team to identify opportunities in your department which support growth and work toward Orkidstudio’s vision;
- Clear communication with clients, consultants, and other stakeholders to ensure accountability and progress of assigned tasks;
- Finding and pursuing new market opportunities through networking, advertisement, social media, and other avenues;
- Creation of content for project proposals;
- Coordinating documentation of on-going and complete works;
- Assisting with general operations.
Required Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in relevant field;
- Excellent verbal and written English language communication skills;
- A clear sense of direction and the ability to contribute effectively in a vibrant team environment;
- Diligence in maintaining company documents;
- Ability to think critically, problem solve, spot ambiguity and provide clarity;
- Strong communication skills and a collaborative approach;
- Awareness of cross-cultural communication and ability to maintain constructive relationships with diverse set of key stakeholders;
- Commitment to upholding the company’s social responsibility mandate;
- A desire for transparency in both working practice and the wider construction industry;
- Adaptability within a fast moving and evolving work-space;
- High proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel;
- Proficiency in Adobe Indesign, Photoshop;
- Graphic design experience;
- Proposal-writing experience;
- Knowledge of Gender Lens Investing. Experience in GLI is an asset;
- Background in gender inclusion, diversity and mainstreaming.
- For inquiries about the EWB Fellowship experience, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For inquiries about the role with Orkidstudio, please contact: Jaime Velasco
For further details, please refer to our website.