Type: Impact Measurement
Role: Monitoring & Evaluation Associate
Venture: The Innovation Village
Location: Kampala, Uganda
Deadline: July 14, 2019
About The Innovation Village
The Innovation Village is Uganda’s launchpad for leading innovators and entrepreneurs; a place that gives entrepreneurs an environment to grow their ideas to market. Our community brings together key players from start-ups, global brands, government agencies, academic institutions, incubators and accelerators to create an entrepreneurial density like no other in Uganda. Our core strategy is designed to support economic growth and job creation in Africa in a commercially sustainable way, with the vision of deepening the application of technology in social economic transformation.
In partnership with Innovation Village, as a Fellow with Engineers Without Borders Canada, you will be placed as a Monitoring & Evaluation Associate with The Innovation Village team in Uganda. Throughout your Fellowship with EWB, you will receive guidance, mentorship and financial support from the community in Canada and in East and West Africa.
About Engineers Without Borders Canada (EWB)
EWB is a free-thinking charitable organization that brings people and ideas together to tackle the most crucial causes of poverty and inequality. We nurture talent and leadership, enable social entrepreneurship and advocate for policy innovations to cross-breed systems-changing innovations to ensure economic and public opportunity reaches everyone, including the most underserved and marginalized populations, especially women and girls.
Through our leadership curriculum and Fellowships Program, we offer experiential learning opportunities in Canada and sub-Saharan Africa to launch future shapers equipped to understand and re-engineer complex social systems. For more information, visit ewb.ca.
The M&E Associate will be the primary on-the-ground staff member delivering M&E technical and project management support to various M&E activities. The M&E Associate will support the development and evolution of organizational performance management framework as well as specific pillar M&E needs to ensure the quality, and effectiveness of program implementation. The Associate will provide assistance to the program staff in developing performance monitoring plans and results frameworks during program design and implementation, creating M&E system, processes and tools, contributing to measuring, analyzing, and reporting results. This is an entry-level position.
As a Monitoring and Evaluation Associate for The Innovation Village, your responsibilities will include:
- Regular field visits and meetings;
- In–field supervision of key M&E activities;
- Quality–control and supervision of data entry;
- In–field follow–up on errors;
- Hire and develop M&E data collectors where necessary;
- Conduct regular trainings to improve skills of data collectors;
- Data analysis to draw both early and final conclusions and actionable recommendations
- Support staff members in setting up systems for M&E;
- Assist with the design and development of forms and questionnaires for data collection and analysis;
- Assist with data collection and analysis;
- Assist with research and writing or editing;
- Assist with data management and cleaning, and quality control;
- Support the team through various administrative duties.
Sound exciting? Here’s who we are looking for.
Required Skills & Qualifications
- Have a relevant graduate degree or have equivalent relevant experience;
- Prior field–based M&E experience;
- Have excellent writing and analytical skills;
- Have a high level of computer literacy;
- Have advanced quantitative skills, including knowledge of statistical programs and Excel;
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail required;
- Ability to manage diverse activities and to meet deadlines required; Ability to adjust to changing situations and priorities desired;
- Demonstrate an understanding of international development issues;
- Demonstrate initiative and ability to work independently and as a member of a team to coordinate and/or lead the efforts to effectively meet M&E needs;
- Awareness of cross-cultural communication and ability to maintain constructive relationships with diverse set of key stakeholders.
- Knowledge of Gender Lens Investing. Experience in GLI considered an asset;
- Background in gender inclusion, diversity and mainstreaming.
- For inquiries about the EWB Fellowship experience, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For inquiries about the role with Innovation Village, please contact: Irene Kituyi
For further detail, please refer to our website.