Type: Marketing; Communications
Role: Marketing & Communications Manager
Venture: African Management Initiative (AMI)
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Deadline: July, 7 2019
AMI is a pan-African entrepreneurial social business that is pioneering a scalable approach to workplace learning and skills development for Africa. AMI empowers African managers, entrepreneurs and young professionals through practical and accessible learning and development tools. We help businesses develop productive and motivated workforces, we help entrepreneurs build thriving enterprises, and we help job seekers develop new skills and advance their careers. AMI is expanding rapidly. We have successfully raised investment, established offices in Nairobi and Johannesburg, engaged clients in East, West and Southern Africa, and have trained over 20,000 people in 11 countries in Africa. AMI is now looking for a Marketing & Communications Manager to support our marketing strategy and make AMI the leading brand in workplace learning across the continent.
In partnership with AMI, as a Fellow with Engineers Without Borders Canada (EWB Canada), you will be placed as a Communications & Marketing Manager with AMI to work with their team in Kenya. Throughout your Fellowship with EWB, you will receive guidance, mentorship and financial support from the community in Canada and in East and West Africa.
About Engineers Without Borders Canada (EWB)
EWB is a free-thinking charitable organization that brings people and ideas together to tackle the most crucial causes of poverty and inequality. We nurture talent and leadership, enable social entrepreneurship and advocate for policy innovations to cross-breed systems-changing innovations to ensure economic and public opportunity reaches everyone, including the most underserved and marginalized populations, especially women and girls.
Through our leadership curriculum and Fellowships Program, we offer experiential learning opportunities in Canada and sub-Saharan Africa to launch future shapers equipped to understand and re-engineer complex social systems. For more information, visit ewb.ca.
About the role
The Marketing & Communications Manager will be based at AMI’s office in Nairobi and will report to the Head of Marketing, working with the leadership team as well as local teams in Nairobi, Johannesburg and Lagos. This is a mid level position for someone with experience in business-to-business and multi-stakeholder marketing and communications, and a willingness to get stuck into a fast-moving entrepreneurial business. It’s a chance for a marketing star with a passion for unlocking Africa’s potential to contribute to the continent’s transformation.
The Marketing & Communications Manager must be a creative, driven, organized, tech-savvy professional with superlative writing and design abilities. S/he must be able to translate complex learning theory into copy that sings, and create documents and campaigns that put AMI on the map – all on a limited budget.
Sound exciting? Here’s who we are looking for.
- Working with a team to develop and implement the company’s marketing strategy to support broader objectives;
- Working with business development teams to develop local markets, improve market intelligence, conduct market research and provide support on sales proposals and presentations;
- Managing lead generation campaigns across platforms to support local sales strategies;
- Creating & maintaining marketing materials, including company & product brochures, website front pages, presentation templates, reports and other collateral;
- Developing and updating our library of client case studies and testimonials, including text/images and video;
- Managing and expanding AMI’s content marketing & digital presence to generate inbound inquiries (blog, newsletter, social media), and ensure website is fully optimized;
- Managing PR across regions, working with local agencies where relevant – write press releases, feature articles, columns and other articles;
- Managing production of research and other thought leadership pieces;
- Managing AMI’s brand and messaging, ensuring consistency across offices;
- Supporting local teams on planning and coverage of all public events.
- Ability to think strategically and creatively but execute methodically – eye on the big picture but unflinching attention to detail;
- Exceptional writing and design skills – must write copy that sings and have a real eye for design;
- Deep understanding of B2B marketing and communications, ideally in an African context;
- Ability to identify and understand different customer segments and craft appropriate messaging;
- Great verbal communicator – ability to build relationships with stakeholders at an executive level and to represent AMI publicly;
- Strong Project Management and organisational skills;
- A commitment to AMI’s mission for building skills and developing talent across Africa through practical and affordable learning programmes;
- Willingness to engage in robust debate while maintaining deep respect for others;
- Thrives in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment with rock-solid integrity.
Qualifications & Experience
- Minimum of 4 years experience in marketing and communications, with at least 3 years in B2B , OR minimum 4 years in a professional services role that includes a business development and/or marketing component (essential);
- Experience working in Africa, ideally Kenya (preferred);
- Experience working in entrepreneurial or high-growth environment (essential);
- Experience working with Adobe suite, as well as social media and content management platforms (e.g. Hootsuite, Hubspot etc) (preferred);
- Postgraduate degree or equivalent experience.
- For inquiries about the EWB Fellowship experience, please contact: email@example.com
- For inquiries about the role with AMI, please contact: Bronwen McConkey
For further details, please refer to our website.