- Role: Investment Officer
- Organization: EWB Ventures
- Location: Kampala, Uganda or Nairobi, Kenya
EWB Ventures is a seed-stage investment vehicle backed by Engineers Without Borders Canada. We are dedicated to supporting early-stage, highly scalable, innovative, for-profit, social enterprises in Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA). We make tailored, long-term investments of up to $100,000 in ventures with high potential to drive systemic change for the benefit of the underserved in new, untested ways.
About the Role
The Fellow will work with EWB Ventures, supporting all aspects of EWB’s social venture portfolio, including network building, deal sourcing, analysis, due diligence, transaction closing/process management, and providing support to our portfolio of ventures. The role will be highly entrepreneurial, spanning emerging market venture investing, consulting, and entrepreneurship, focusing on early-stage businesses that have the potential to systemic change for the benefit of the underserved.
This opportunity is tailored to candidates looking to make an impact in shaping a highly innovative model in disrupting poverty. We are looking someone who has the courage to question the status quo and ask difficult questions, yet has the humility to listen and commit to personal growth through honest self-assessment. This is a unique opportunity to invest time in acquiring transferable investing skills in an unconventional business setting, and the most suitable candidate is someone who has an intrinsic business acumen and a demonstrated ability to adapt across multiple environments.
- Research and identify relevant social enterprises, investment partners, and opportunities in the impact investing space across East Africa;
- Prepare and present key deal materials including initial investment summaries and investment memos;
- Support portfolio management, including capital raising, financial modelling, network building, monitoring and reporting;
- Research and develop thought pieces around key themes or sectors, sharing lessons within EWB and externally via blogs/social media; and
- Other duties as developed by the team
Sound exciting? Here’s who we are looking for.
Skills & Qualifications
- Passion for entrepreneurship and commitment to alleviating poverty;
- Intellectual curiosity and a strong desire to learn;
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills;
- Exceptional interpersonal and communications skills;
- Highly motivated, with ability to work proactively and independently;
- Ability to work well with people from different countries and cultures and amenability to working with different time zones in an efficient manner;
- Excellent time management skills and ability to manage multiple projects concurrently;
- 2+ years of professional experience
- Experience conducting market and company research;
- Experience living/working in a developing economy – Sub-Saharan Africa a big plus;
- Advanced degree (MBA or equivalent) desired;
- Professional experience in Business/Finance, Management Consulting, International Development, or Entrepreneurship