Role: Grants & Competitions Associate
Venture: PEG Africa
Location: Accra, Ghana
Deadline: July 14, 2019
About PEG Africa
PEG delivers Pay-As-You-Go (PAYG) asset-based financing to consumers who lack both access to reliable electricity and formal banking services. PEG’s anchor product, a basic solar home system that includes three lights, a phone charger, and a radio, allows consumers living on $5-10 per day to access clean light for working and studying after hours, avoid harmful air pollution from kerosene based lighting solutions, and also build credit for additional products and services over time. To date, PEG has raised nearly $50 million and has 450 full-time staff across Ghana and Ivory Coast.
In partnership with PEG Africa, as a Fellow with Engineers Without Borders Canada (EWB Canada), you will be placed as a Grants & Competition with PEG Africa to work with their team in Ghana. Throughout your Fellowship with EWB, you will receive guidance, mentorship and financial support from the community in Canada and in East and West Africa.
About Engineers Without Borders Canada (EWB)
EWB is a free-thinking charitable organization that brings people and ideas together to tackle the most crucial causes of poverty and inequality. We nurture talent and leadership, enable social entrepreneurship and advocate for policy innovations to cross-breed systems-changing innovations to ensure economic and public opportunity reaches everyone, including the most underserved and marginalized populations, especially women and girls.
Through our leadership curriculum and Fellowships Program, we offer experiential learning opportunities in Canada and sub-Saharan Africa to launch future shapers equipped to understand and re-engineer complex social systems. For more information, visit ewb.ca.
You are passionate about the development of social enterprise in Sub-Saharan Africa. You possess high quality writing skills and have strong business acumen, with the ability to collaborate with different stakeholders, both internal and external to PEG.
The role involves managing grants and competition applications for PEG Africa. As a fast-growing social enterprise, the expectation is that the successful candidate will be willing and able to perform any tasks related to the below duties, as required:
- Communicate with grantees/organizations on clarifications, follow-up, any information support or related requirements;
- Communicate with internal stakeholders on understanding business fit to draft grant proposals and competition applications;
- Track and prepare a calendar for grant opportunities and associated deadlines;
- Research and identify grant opportunities based on funding amount needed, location, and organization project;
- Identify all requirements of grant to ensure all necessary attachments are submitted on time;
- Take part in subsequent processes around activities, such as due diligence and impact monitoring.
Skills & Qualifications
- Demonstrated writing ability, preferably with professional experience in grants and competition writing;
- Strong business acumen, with the ability to understand Profit and Loss (PnL), or the desire to learn;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and strong presentation skills;
- Strong interpersonal abilities, with the ability to collaborate with different stakeholders across the organisation;
- Detail-oriented, adaptable, organized and demonstrated ability to successfully manage multiple projects and tasks;
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Office.
- For inquiries about the EWB Fellowship experience, please contact: email@example.com
- For inquiries about the role with PEG Africa, please contact: Hayley Bron
For further details, please refer to our website.