Type: Impact Measurement
Role: Gender Project Officer
Venture: PEG Africa
Location: Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
Deadline: July 7, 2019
About PEG Africa
PEG delivers Pay-As-You-Go (PAYG) asset-based financing to consumers who lack both access to reliable electricity and formal banking services. PEG’s anchor product, a basic solar home system that includes three lights, a phone charger, and a radio, allows consumers living on $5-10 per day to access clean light for working and studying after hours, avoid harmful air pollution from kerosene based lighting solutions, and also build credit for additional products and services over time. To date, PEG has raised nearly $50 million and has 450 full-time staff across Ghana and Ivory Coast.
In partnership with PEG Africa, as a Fellow with Engineers Without Borders Canada (EWB Canada), you will be placed as a Gender Projects Officer with PEG Africa to work with their team in Côte d’Ivoire. Throughout your Fellowship with EWB, you will receive guidance, mentorship and financial support from the community in Canada and in East and West Africa.
About Engineers Without Borders Canada (EWB)
EWB is a free-thinking charitable organization that brings people and ideas together to tackle the most crucial causes of poverty and inequality. We nurture talent and leadership, enable social entrepreneurship and advocate for policy innovations to cross-breed systems-changing innovations to ensure economic and public opportunity reaches everyone, including the most underserved and marginalized populations, especially women and girls.
Through our leadership curriculum and Fellowships Program, we offer experiential learning opportunities in Canada and sub-Saharan Africa to launch future shapers equipped to understand and re-engineer complex social systems. For more information, visit ewb.ca.
After great success rolling out a Gender Action Plan in PEG’s operations in Ghana, we are seeking a Gender Projects Officer to continue this work in Côte d’Ivoire. We are looking for a passionate self-starter, with a keen interest in promoting gender equality within the operations of a social enterprise in sub-Saharan Africa.
As a Gender Projects Officer for PEG Africa, your responsibilities will include:
- Conduct a gender analysis of PEG’s internal operations (both at HQ and in the field), offer and implement recommendations for improvement, and provide a sustainability plan; support building PEG’s capacity to report on gender achievements in line with SDG 5: Gender Equality and Canada’s Feminist International Assistance Policy;
- Work with the Human Resources team to develop strategies and policies with a gender-inclusive lens and using PEG Ghana’s policies as examples, around hiring and retention and gender capacity-building amongst staff; Create strategies to mirror success of PEG Ghana in developing female talent and leadership within the organisation and apply lessons learned to Côte d’Ivoire’s office;
- Work with the sales department to develop strategies to target female customers, and increase the number of female sales agents working for the organisation; review PEG Ghana’s strategy for this and customize it for the Côte d’Ivoire office;
- Collaborate with any other departments that may benefit from looking at challenges or opportunities with a gendered lens.
Sound exciting? Here’s who we are looking for.
Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in international development, gender studies, or other related field required;
- Some experience in gender mainstreaming or gender-focused program management required;
- Ability to navigate politically sensitive terrain and maintain constructive relationships with a diverse set of key stakeholders;
- Excellent communication skills, and ability to effectively communicate cross-culturally;
- A keen interest in working in sub-Saharan Africa;
- French & English language skills required.
- Some experience creating gender-inclusive, safe spaces;
- Some experience in prevention of bullying and harassment;
- Some experience in leadership training;
- Awareness of gender context in Côte d’Ivoire.
- For inquiries about the EWB Fellowship experience, please contact: email@example.com
- For inquiries about the role with PEG Africa, please contact: Hayley Bron
For further details, please refer to our website.