- Role: Finance Associate
- Venture: Village Energy
- Location: Kampala, Uganda
About Village Energy
Village Energy, founded in 2008, is a Ugandan solar startup that is piloting a last-mile distribution model for productive use of energy: custom solar installations (200W-10kW) for rural businesses, institutions & agriculture that enable improved incomes, job creation, & access to services. Through our network of 6 branches & technicians across Uganda, we offer in-house design, procurement, PayGo financing, installation, remote monitoring & on-site servicing, thus de-risking solar adoption for rural customers. Since 2015 we’ve completed over 100 custom installations ranging up to 5kW, and have 30 employees spread across Uganda. (2-min case study). Village Energy is one of the few solar companies that is Ugandan-founded, and one of the only solar companies led by a female East African.
Having a team with more than 90% local staff that is committed to hiring locally yet is operating in a competitive environment dominated by internationally-run firms requires capacity building, which at times means bringing in experienced international talent into key roles. That is why the EWB Fellows program is so critical for us in terms of enabling Village Energy to grow and deliver on its key mission of serving off-grid communities.
One of our key needs is around financial management and analytics. We are looking for a candidate who has a well-rounded background in finance, and is looking to apply all of their skills across a variety of areas, including financial operations, accounting, loan portfolio management, budgeting, financing forecasting, and fundraising. The candidate will not only be able to mentor and train others, but will be able to grow their own skill set and put them on a career track towards a future startup CFO role.
As a Finance Associate for Village Energy, your responsibilities will include:
- Working with Village Energy’s financial manager to overseeing the implementation of financial processes around customer financing, loan portfolio management, budgeting and expense accounting, and revenue forecasting.
- Work with the CEO on building customer financing partnerships with local microfinance organizations and banks, including the structuring of the financing terms.
- Work with the VP of Business Development on fundraising, including developing financial forecasts, investor pitch decks, and assisting with the development of funding proposals and business plan documents.
Sound exciting? Here’s who we are looking for.
Skills & Qualifications
- Educational background in finance, accounting, economics or a related field
- At least 3 years of experience in a financial analyst or accounting role
- Experience with financial forecasting of expenses and revenue
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Experience with Quickbooks or similar accounting software
- Experience with training and capacity building