Role: Executive Assistant & Office Administrator
Location: Toronto, Canada
Start Date: Immediate
Position: Full time permanent
Deadline for applications: 19th June. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and the position may be filled prior to the deadline.
EWB’s mission is bringing together people and ideas to address the most crucial causes of poverty and inequality. We are a global organization that combines leadership development, social enterprise investments and policy change to deliver impact in Canada and Sub-Saharan Africa.
As the Office Administrator, you will make our office spectacularly efficient, welcoming and effective. You’ll take ownership over the office space, office processes and everything else we need to work well as an office team. You are someone who adapts well to change, can influence people and set norms, is flexible when things don’t go as planned and is eager to enable others to do their best work. You are motivated by the bigger picture, you invest in people, and you are great at seeing the steps needed to constantly improve our effectiveness.
You will also be the point of access to the CEO. You will need to be one step ahead of where the CEO needs to be. You will manage the CEO’s calendar and travel, and take care of external meeting scheduling for members of the team who steward our major donors and partners—this means seamless and reliable scheduling, follow-up, preparation and logistics for meetings and calls with donors.
You will also support the CEO’s and the Management Team and partnering with all aspects of across the organization. This includes providing support to our Board of Directors and managing Board activities including quarterly meetings, dinners, travel bookings, committee support as well as supporting our annual general meeting (AGM). Additionally, you will also be supporting database management, and ensuring teams have access to lists as needed. Your role will require fast thinking, problem-solving, establishing processes, positive energy, and a commitment to getting the job done well and on time.
This position reports to the VP of Operations & Integration and is a key member of our Operations Team.
Executive Assistant & Board Support (60%):
- Maximize the CEO’s time and priorities:
- Manage CEO’s schedule to maximize time and ensure alignment with organizational priorities
- Communicate meeting timing and requirements with internal and external stakeholders and prepare background material for meetings, as required
- Travel booking and logistics for local and international events/meetings including flights, accommodation, arranging visas etc.
- Manage CEO’s inbox to ensure that all emails are recorded correctly (Salesforce)
- Support CEO in replying to emails in a timely manner, coordinate with other teams on content
- Identify emails that other teams need to be aware of and coordinate relevant follow up actions
- Ensure that the Board of Directors are enabled to deliver great value to EWB
- Oversee board meetings preparation process, including gathering documents, sending out reminders and starting initial draft documents
- Ensure that Board members can travel for EWB with minimal hassle
- Ensure that Board meeting logistics are seamless, productive and that minutes are taken and shared promptly
- Support quarterly Finance and Audit Committee meetings
- Provide logistics and scheduling support to Working Groups of the Board (Includes Governance committee, HSW committee, Venture Working group etc)
- Work closely with the Board and Management Team to organize logistics and communications for the Annual General Meeting (AGM)
- Assist with reporting obligations under the Canada Not-for-profit Corporations Act (NFP Act)
- Other duties as assigned
Office Administration (40%):
- Create a productive and comfortable office for staff
- Ensure that we always have the right office supplies on hand
- Ensure that our office space is a comfortable, efficient and productive working environment for staff at all times
- Liaise with building management, printer company, internet supplier, etc.
- Ensure that building insurance is renewed (2 properties)
- Support scheduling and logistics of Quarterly team retreats, Management retreats and weekly team meetings
- Support in ensuring a safe working environment by supporting the Joint Health Safety Committee (JHSC)
- Assist in follow up actions from JHSC
- Assist in the creation of new org-wide policies and procedures related to Health, Safety, Wellness (HSW)
- Assist in rollout and implementation of new policies and procedures related to HSW
- Provide support on HR administration
- Recruitment support to team managers, including job posting, phone screening, offer letters and contracts.
- Management of Humi (HR software)
- Onboarding and offboarding support
- Provide support on IT administration
- Support with the maintenance of Salesforce (CRM)
- Ensure teams are able to pull lists from Salesforce
- Support with the maintenance of Google Drive (main central storage)
- Creating and updating mailing lists
- Respond to or direct general enquiries
- Other duties as assigned
Who You Are
The successful candidate will be an all-star: adaptive, fast-paced, incredibly organized and hardworking, and able to coordinate cross-organizationally to deliver on project objectives.
The following skills, experiences and knowledge will help:
- 3+ years’ experience as an Executive Assistant supporting a CEO and/or senior leadership team, preferably in a non-profit/fundraising environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills—confidence in interacting with all kinds of people, including volunteers, grantmakers and major donors.
- Highly developed organizational and time management skills; demonstrated ability to manage competing priorities under pressure.
- Good judgment and discretion in dealing with sensitive issues.
- Excellent computer skills, including with cloud computing programs (i.e. Google applications, Word, Excel).
- Experience using CRMs/Databases, preferably SalesForce.
- Experience working with a Board of Directors and supporting board.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and coordinate between multiple teams;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Bilingualism (French/English) preferred;
- Start-up or non-profit experience.
- Rigorous attention to detail, with strong interpersonal skills;
- Taking initiative and proactively seeking out creative solutions to challenges;
- Responsive and flexible in managing a high paced, fast-changing environment, working well under pressure and prioritizing many ongoing projects;
- Ability to communicate complex information simply, effectively and appropriately, to a wide range of people, both verbally and in writing;
- Team player—will roll up your sleeves and do what it takes for the organization to succeed;
- Extremely motivated and excited to take initiative.
Salary commensurate with experience. All employees are provided with a comprehensive health/dental benefits package, Professional Development allowance and 3 weeks of vacation each year.
What’s it like to work at EWB?
EWB is a high-performing team-based work environment. We have over 25 staff members working out of our Toronto-based office and many more based around Canada and in Africa. Our office culture is one of passion, entrepreneurship, pragmatism, thoughtfulness, dedication and hard work. We have a strong commitment to excellence and achieving results. Our leaders, staff, and volunteers are youthful; this manifests in our dynamic and positive outlook.
We blend a passion to change the world with pragmatism.
General office environment, typically 9am to 5:30pm with varied hours as required by meetings, events and other initiatives.
Applications are due by 5PM Eastern Time on the Close Date indicated at the top of this job posting.
Applicants must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
EWB embraces diverse cultures, heritages, experiences and opinions in our efforts to enrich our staff team and foster inclusive decision making. We are committed to providing inclusive, barrier-free employment that are free from discrimination, and to hiring diverse candidates.
Please let us know if you require any accommodation throughout the application process, and we will do our best to accommodate.
If you have questions, email us at email@example.com , noting “Executive Assistant & Office Administrator” in the subject line.
In your cover letter, show us your commitment and passion – we want to know what drives you to make change in the world, and why you’re the right fit for EWB and this position. We want to know how your experience and specific track record makes you the right person for this job.
We thank all applicants for their interest but only short-listed applicants will be contacted.