- Role: E-Learning Specialist
- Venture: Busara Center for Behavioral Economics
- Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Busara is a research and advisory firm dedicated to advancing and applying behavioral science in the emerging markets. Busara applies rigorous research methods and evaluation tools to enable partners to improve program design, assess existing interventions, and optimize internal processes.We work with governments, NGOs, private companies and academics to understand human behavior, and design solutions to overcome behavioral barriers to products, programs and policies as they scale. Busara operates from its permanent offices in Kenya, Nigeria, Ethiopia, Uganda and Tanzania, and has worked on projects with with partners across the continent. We currently have 69 active projects, 112 completed projects,36 academic affiliations, 3 operational decision labs , and 145 full time staff.
Busara is a non-profit organization founded in 2012 by Professor Johannes Haushofer (Princeton University) and operating under the leadership of Dr. Jeremy Shapiro. We have worked on projects related to agriculture, financial inclusion, savings, inequality, entrepreneurship, civic engagement, and other questions central to development economics.
The E-Learning Specialist will lead the development of the online learning experience and is responsible for completing or delegating the tasks and assignments associated with the development of training. The successful candidate will be passionate about teaching, immersed in the digital ecosystem, and be capable of developing dynamic, creative content for online learning programs. The ideal candidate is action-oriented, a self-starter, quickly grasps new concepts, has excellent project management skills and is focused on results.
As a E-learning Specialist for Busara, your responsibilities will include:
1. Select a Learning Management System for Busara
- Conduct an audit of Busara’s learning content
- Identify the short and long-term strategic objectives of this digital learning program
- Understand our financial context and expansion strategy
- Present recommended LMS solutions as per a set of criteria relevant to our organisation including pricing
- Explain expected ROI from investment in various platforms
- Support the decision-making process to select a LMS
2. Collate and organize e-learning content
- Work closely with a dedicated team of Busara experts to identify the relevant content that supports our learning strategies and objectives.
- Select and organize content into categories of quality
- Integrate existing instructional materials
- Develop learning objectives
- Develop storyboards and scripts
- Develop and conduct level 1-3 assessments
- Develop instructional guides and student guides that leverage new technologies and multimedia
- Apply interaction design and interactive learning principles to instructional solutions for adult learners
3. Create the online learning experience
- Translate instructional concepts into interactive graphics or animations that reinforce the learning objectives outlined prior – outsource and delegate as necessary
- Develop learning interface to illustrate critical concepts and reach desired learning outcomes
- Upload and configure e-learning content into selected learning management system
- Integrate emerging instructional methods and technologies into e-learning
4. Develop digital learning experiences for other existing or future content
- Maintain and enhance existing training content.
- Develop a framework to build new e-learning courses, specifically relating to capacity building Busara does for clients. This will require observing workshops and working to incorporate multimedia experiences into the workshops to help ensure the best learning experience.
- Makes recommendations on approaches to enhance the quality of the learning experience over time.
Sound exciting? Here’s who we are looking for.
Skills & Qualifications
- A Bachelor’s degree in multimedia design, graphic design, or instructional design, or a related field in training development
- 3+ years of experience in communications, knowledge management, systems design, policy outreach, PR, marketing, design or a related field.
- Experience working in teams, with a particular focus on communications, knowledge management, social media, policy outreach and design.
- A history of contributing strategically to organizations, with an emphasis on communications and knowledge management.
- Experience using data and state-of-the-art research to develop communications initiatives.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent follow-up, time management and organization skills
- Strong editing, written and oral communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to coordinate several projects simultaneously
- Proactive technical troubleshooting and problem solving skills
- An ability to work with and inspire people from a variety of cultures, backgrounds, and experiences.
- Proficiency in the Microsoft Office Suite (i.e. Word, Excel, Outlook), Adobe Photoshop and/or Adobe InDesign and PowerPoint