- Role: Director, Storytelling
- Venture: Metis
- Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Metis is accelerating a movement for collective learning across Nairobi, so that the city is a lighthouse for education systems across the world. We know that change is happening too slowly; Uwezo’s research showed that across Kenya, Uganda, and Tanzania, there was no significant improvement in children’s learning outcomes from 2009-2015. Metis leverages the unique window of opportunity in Nairobi’s education system, to build a new model for systems change. Over the next three years, Metis will support over 100 leaders to innovate and drive higher quality across Nairobi’s education system – in government, public and private schools, EdTech, and nonprofits. Together, this movement will transform Nairobi’s ecosystem to ensure that all learners, from cradle to career, have the skills, mindsets, and opportunities they need for the 21st century – and in doing so, will build a new a model of education reform for other cities across the Global South to learn from. Launched in June 2017, Metis piloted with a Fellowship program for entrepreneurs and leaders, a co-working and hub space for education companies, and ecosystem-building events. Cohort I of the Metis Fellowship graduated in September 2018, and we will accept nominations for Cohort II in January 2019. Learn more at our website.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Storytelling will help set and guide the strategy for all communications, external relations, events and media efforts that consistently articulate Metis’ mission and vision. The Director of Storytelling will co-create and lead the strategy and implementation of Metis’ brand and strategic partnerships, as well as widely share stories of the impact of our Fellows and organization.
- Build the Movement: Through stories of all kinds (written, visual, audiovisual, etc) build broad public investment in and support of education innovation and reform in Kenya.
- Communicate Impact: Develop an annual communications and marketing plan that engages diverse audience segments and lead to measurable action; collaborate with the Director of Impact to write reports to our investors on the social returns of their investments in our Fellows.
- Lead brand development: collaborate with our Executive Director to define the overall brand identity, brand strategy and core messages of Metis. Overseeing the development and analytics of Metis’ website and social media pages
- Build relationships: Serve as the primary liaison with reporters; pitch stories; write and manage review of communications materials; initiate and manage strategic external relationships in support the goals of Metis including (as relevant) with multilateral organizations, NGOs, events, media outlets and other relevant global bodies
- Hustle: we are a lean start-up with an “all hands on deck” approach, so your skills will be tapped for various special projects as necessary and your leadership will shape the culture of the organization.
Sound exciting? Here’s who we are looking for.
Skills & Qualifications
- Passion for education reform and innovation
- Exceptional written, interpersonal and presentation skills with the ability to effectively interface with multiple audiences
- Superior project management and organization skills
- Strong time management skills and flexibility in order to accommodate multiple projects simultaneously, with tight deadlines
- Entrepreneurial attitude, working independently while also being a team player