- Role: Director, Outcomes and Impact
- Venture: Metis
- Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Metis is accelerating a movement for collective learning across Nairobi, so that the city is a lighthouse for education systems across the world. We know that change is happening too slowly; Uwezo’s research showed that across Kenya, Uganda, and Tanzania, there was no significant improvement in children’s learning outcomes from 2009-2015. Metis leverages the unique window of opportunity in Nairobi’s education system, to build a new model for systems change. Over the next three years, Metis will support over 100 leaders to innovate and drive higher quality across Nairobi’s education system – in government, public and private schools, edtech, and nonprofits. Together, this movement will transform Nairobi’s ecosystem to ensure that all learners, from cradle to career, have the skills, mindsets, and opportunities they need for the 21st century – and in doing so, will build a new a model of education reform for other cities across the Global South to learn from. Launched in June 2017, Metis piloted with a Fellowship program for entrepreneurs and leaders, a co-working and hub space for education companies, and ecosystem-building events. Cohort I of the Metis Fellowship graduated in September 2018, and we will accept nominations for Cohort II in January 2019.
The Metis team is looking for an outcomes-oriented leader to design and build our system for measuring and tracking the impact that we have on our Fellows. This system will capture how they transform the quality of schools across Kenya and ultimately, education systems across Africa. Crucial to this role is a passion for data and making it meaningful for diverse audiences, and an entrepreneurial spirit, ready for the challenge of building an organization from the ground up.
- Determine the Outcomes: collaborate with our Executive Director to revise metrics from our pilot for organizational impact, including quantitative and qualitative outcomes.
- Research & Design: Learn from cutting-edge organizations across the world who are capturing data across schools (low-to-high fee private, government), organizations (ed tech, non-profits) and government reforms, such as Character Lab, Summit Public Schools, and Strive.
- Build the System: determine which practices should be adapted to African contexts, and implement a system for measuring and tracking outcomes that can handle rapid growth from our initial cohort of 15 Fellows to a network that will include over 500 Fellows over the next decade.
- Communicate the Impact: write reports and deliver presentations to our investors, on the social returns of their investments in our Fellows.
- Hustle: we are a lean start-up with an “all hands on deck” approach, so your skills will be tapped for various special projects as necessary and your leadership will shape the culture of the organization.
Sound exciting? Here’s who we are looking for.
Skills & Qualifications
Passion for education reform and innovation; experience collecting various types of data and communicating it to diverse audiences; proactivity and willingness to adapt to a fast-moving startup environment; commitment to learning and applying new ways of thinking to address entrenched challenges in education systems.