- Role: Design Engineer
- Venture: Burro
- Location: Koforidua, Ghana
Burro® sells quality products that help our customers save more and earn more. From simple innovations like our home solar power systems, to the world’s most fuel-efficient gari roaster, the Elephant™, Burro products deliver better living affordably. Our collaborative, innovative, and dynamic team is making a real difference in the lives of real people across Ghana and beyond. You’re welcome to join in the magic Burro is creating.
This is an opportunity to accelerate a project vital to our mission while immersing yourself professionally and culturally with Ghanaians from all walks of life. Burro elevates, celebrates, and develops smart, collaborative, problem-solving, hard-working, civic-minded, entrepreneurial leaders—so expect fast-paced learning, an inspirational mission, and regular demands to step up and live up to Burro’s promise, Do More.
As a Design Engineer for Burro, your responsibilities will include:
- Survey potential offerings in agriculture — particularly those related to shea, palm oil, cassava, and dry season vegetables. Assess customer needs and functional requirements. Identify opportunities for innovation.
- Lead iterative prototyping and user-testing of new product ideas, including developing and managing partnerships with local manufacturers and fabricators. Implement quality assurance protocols to ensure all output is Burro brand-worthy.
- Create CAD models and BOM for new products. Estimate COGS. Assist with the sourcing of manufacturing partners. Collaborate with manufacturing partners to optimize manufacturing and shipping efficiencies.
- Manage Burro’s in-house prototyping and fabrication space, The Garage, including supervising outside groups on use of woodworking, welding, and digital fabrication tools.
- Collaborate with Team Burro to build Burro’s organizational capacity to continue all initiatives post-fellowship
Sound exciting? Here’s who we are looking for.
Skills & Qualifications
- An undergraduate or graduate degree in Engineering, with Design Engineering preferred. A strong focus on disciplines applicable to agriculture is a plus.
- At least 2-years’ experience leading field work to evaluate and refine commercial products. Experience with technology relevant to enhancing the productivity of smallholder farmers is a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to empathetically assess customer needs, contribute to design decisions, and effectively communicate requirements for implementation in manufacturing.
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects with complex deliverables and substantial budgets.
- CAD and rapid prototyping experience required, woodworking, and welding experience preferred. Experience with engines, motors, and vehicle mechanics is a plus.
- Willing to relocate to Koforidua with frequent travel throughout Ghana
- Passion for delivering on Burro’s promise—Do More