Type: Engineering, Technology Development
Role: Data Scientist
Venture: Maisha Meds
Location: Kisumu, Kenya
Deadline: July 7 2019
About Maisha Meds
1 in 10 medical products in developing countries are counterfeit or substandard. Maisha Meds is helping to address this problem in East Africa.
We help small, local pharmacies partner with vetted suppliers to ensure high quality medicines are stocked and sold. We also offer working capital to pharmacies to help them grow their businesses.
We do this through an Android app that helps pharmacies manage inventory as well as serve as a point-of-sales tool. Our software is used by hundreds of pharmacies in Kenya to support hundreds of thousands of patients each year. We’re rapidly expanding our user base and currently expanding to neighboring countries.
In partnership with Maisha Meds, as a Fellow with Engineers Without Borders Canada (EWB Canada) , you will be placed as Data Scientist with Maisha Meds to work their team in Kenya. Throughout your Fellowship with EWB, you will receive guidance, mentorship and financial support from the community in Canada and in East and West Africa.
About Engineers Without Borders Canada (EWB)
EWB is a free-thinking charitable organization that brings people and ideas together to tackle the most crucial causes of poverty and inequality. We nurture talent and leadership, enable social entrepreneurship and advocate for policy innovations to cross-breed systems-changing innovations to ensure economic and public opportunity reaches everyone, including the most underserved and marginalized populations, especially women and girls.
Through our leadership curriculum and Fellowships Program, we offer experiential learning opportunities in Canada and sub-Saharan Africa to launch future shapers equipped to understand and re-engineer complex social systems. For more information, visit ewb.ca.
We’ve got a ton of data about medications and pharmaceutical sales, and we’re looking for someone to help us make sense of it. Are certain anti-malarial medications over-prescribed? What would be the most effective contraceptive to subsidize? Are pharmacies selling the right products to the right people? We’d love to work with you to find out!
As a data scientist for Maisha Meds, your responsibilities will include:
- Building meaningful models from datasets
- Designing experiments to guide and improve features and products
- Creating and maintaining robust data science infrastructure
- Building visualizations and dashboards for easy interpretation of data
Sound exciting? Here’s who we are looking for.
Skills & Qualifications
- 4+ years of experience in quantitative analysis (preferably in an engineering or product role);
- Background in statistics, math, or other technical field;
- Experience with common analysis tools (we like SQL and Python);
- Demonstrable familiarity with code and programming concepts;
- Independent initiative – figure out what we might be missing and design experiments to answer your questions;
- Experience building statistical models from messy datasets;
- Good at communicating results to non-technical audiences;
- Awareness of cross-cultural communication and ability to maintain constructive relationships with a diverse set of key stakeholders.
- (Bonus) Experience with analyzing pharmaceutical, health care, or marketing data;
- For inquiries about the EWB Fellowship experience, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For inquiries about the role with Maisha Meds, please contact: Jessica Vernon
For further details, please refer to our website.