- Role: Data Analyst
- Venture: Viamo
- Location: Kampala, Uganda
Viamo (formerly know as VOTO Mobile) is a fast growing social enterprise with over 15 offices around the world including hub offices in Accra, Dakar and Mumbai. Our services help partners distribute and collect information by engaging difficult-to-reach populations through their mobile phones. We specialize in interactive voice calls (including IVR) and SMS in local languages, instantly reaching across distance and literacy barriers. We serve a wide variety of use-cases including under the broad themes of Data Collection and Behaviour Change Communication: journalists who run national public interest surveys, rural clinics who distribute maternal health education, policy makers who study vaccine supply chains, economic development organizations who reach out to farmers, urban planners who monitor water distribution access, and academics who research the effect of public health interventions. We also have an API used to power existing mobile service providers.
Viamo has over 1 million monthly users who engage with our services. We need to constantly improve their experience and increase engagement rates and social outcomes of those engagements. We think about how to drive repeat usage, why some users instantly know how to use our system and others need to be taught, what impact the accent, gender and language of our voice has on engagement rates and much more. In short we have business problems centered around improving our user experience and we have hypotheses on the answers.
Like any web company we log every action our users take and every piece of content they engage with, including regular use of A/B tests. This gives us a giant database to query as we try to answer our business questions.
Our missing link is the ability to continuously extract insights from our data that will help answer key business questions. We’d like a Data Analyst to support our business and product teams to improve our services based on our existing data. This person will help design pilots, analyze data, and extract learnings. An advanced candidate could apply machine learning techniques to capture some interesting opportunities we see.
You will work closely with the 3-2-1 Product Director and the Data4Impact team to enhance Viamo’s evidence-based learning and improve our impact.
As a Data Analyst for Viamo, your responsibilities will include:
- Work closely with the 3-2-1 Product Director to design insights and learning pilots to ensure data is correctly collected in a timely, uniform, and analyzable way
- Analyze user data using statistical techniques to generate cross-project insights that answer business problems, especially those centred around improving the user experience and impact
- Identify, analyze, and interpret trends in complex data sets
- Provide input to Product Owners and Project Managers on useful tests to run in future projects aimed at increasing impact by more than 10% in a given country
- Improve our data structure/organization to ensure we have the foundational information needed to answer key business questions
- Be a thought leader within the organization on how to create value from our data (i.e., both what is possible and how to do it) and make proposals for new business opportunities or tech/data investments
- Act as an escalation point for challenging analysis needed on individual projects (e.g., use raking to weight survey data)
- Create reports and visualizations to present findings to internal and external clients
- Train Project Managers in data analysis, and possibly develop guidelines/tools/check lists for them to follow
- An advanced candidate will be able to apply machine learning techniques to some of our core products like the 3-2-1 service (e.g., build a content recommendation engine, match users to appropriate sponsored/advertised content)
Sound exciting? Here’s who we are looking for.
Skills & Qualifications
- Education: Master’s degree in Math, Economics, Business, Statistics, Information Management, Computer Science or related field.
- Experience: At least 2 years of relevant professional experience including quantitative analysis responsibilities
- Technical & Analytical Expertise: You can turn large amounts of data into insights
- Experience pulling data using SQL
- Experience with at least one statistical software program (e.g. R, SPSS, SAS, Python). You will be able to do some analysis in Excel but real success will require more advance tools.
- Experience evolving the structure of data, we anticipate many questions will come up where we don’t have the data setup in a way to answer them.
- Problem solving skills: You can develop an approach to answer a tough question, implement the analysis and then synthesize the results to find the “so what”.
- Communication: You can listen to understand the real business problems and then communicate back out your recommendations and insights in an understandable way. Includes verbal, written and visual/graphical communication.
- Interest in Mobile for Development: you’re interested in tech products aimed at helping low income people in Africa and Asia improve their lives.