- Role: Customer Impact Associate
- Venture: Village Energy
- Location: Kampala, Uganda
About Village Energy
Village Energy, founded in 2008, is a Ugandan solar startup that is piloting a last-mile distribution model for productive use of energy: custom solar installations (200W-10kW) for rural businesses, institutions & agriculture that enable improved incomes, job creation, & access to services. Through our network of 6 branches & technicians across Uganda, we offer in-house design, procurement, PayGo financing, installation, remote monitoring & on-site servicing, thus de-risking solar adoption for rural customers. Since 2015 we’ve completed over 100 custom installations ranging up to 5kW, and have 30 employees spread across Uganda. 2-min case study: https://youtu.be/2tNT7w0pfQc. Village Energy is one of the few solar companies that is Ugandan-founded, and one of the only solar companies led by a female East African.
Having a team with more than 90% local staff that is committed to hiring locally yet is operating in a competitive environment dominated by internationally-run firms requires capacity building, which at times means bringing in experienced international talent into key roles. That is why the EWB Fellows program is so critical for us in terms of enabling Village Energy to grow and deliver on its key mission of serving off-grid communities.
One of our key needs is in measuring the impact of our solutions on increasing livelihoods, job creation, and access to services of our customers and beneficiaries. Understanding this will be critical for driving sales, as our sales team can use the information to help our clients to pick the solution that will maximize ROI for them. This is related to another need in setting up a customer satisfaction/feedback process to improve our service offering. We are looking for a candidate who has a strong background in monitoring and evaluation who is looking to apply his/her skill set in a dynamic social business environment with the opportunity to inform and influence Village Energy’s product and service offering.
As a Customer Impact Associate for Village Energy, your responsibilities will include:
- Design and implement an overall data-drive approach to customer engagement and impact measurement that can help us understand and quantify impact in terms of income, job creation and access to beneficiary services.
- Working closely with our HR/Data Manager on implementing customer surveys and focus groups to measure and analyze their satisfaction and the impact of our solutions.
- Work cross-functionally to incorporate the feedback from customers into improving Village Energy’s solutions, sales pitches, operations and customer engagement activities. This may involve overseeing the development or adoption of a mobile/tablet sales app for our team to use when speaking with clients.
- Work with senior leadership to showcase the metrics to prove impact to donors, impact investors, and other interested parties.
Sound exciting? Here’s who we are looking for.
Skills & Qualifications
- Educational background in Statistics, Monitoring and evaluation, Social science, Development Studies or related field
- At least 2-4 years of experience in needs and impact assessment
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Experience with training and capacity building
- Experience with Stata and/or SPSS