- Role: Corporate Development Manager
- Venture: Pawame
- Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Pawame provides solar home systems (SHSs) and more to off-grid communities in Africa on a rent-to-own basis. Starting from our base in Kenya we are tackling the huge challenge (opportunity!) to electrify and serve the >160 million households (70% of the population) in sub-Saharan Africa that don’t have access to grid power. Our SHS is not just cheaper, cleaner, and more convenient than traditional solutions, it’s transformation: by the time our customers have paid off their systems (after about 18 months) we are able — using technology, proprietary credit scoring and innovative payment schemes — to profitably offer them an array of life changing products and services that they would not otherwise be able to access or afford. Ultimately we aim to be not just an energy access company but a leading provider of products and services to the ‘bottom of the pyramid’, a trusted life partner for our customers, and one of the most respected consumer brands in Africa.
The Corporate Development Manager is the individual primarily responsible for developing and managing the implementation of Pawame’s strategy and business plan in pursuit of corporate objectives. He/she is both a thought leader/partner to the CEO/CFO, and the cross-functional “glue” that ensures coordinated, seamless implementation of the business plan, including Pawame’ Cash Flow Breakeven (CFBE) Program plan. The manager will also lead analysis and development of new business opportunities and special projects; and play a critical role in fundraising, in which realm so much of Pawame’s strategy and plans must come to life for prospective investors in a compelling way. As this is a ‘high-touch’ role requiring close and frequent collaboration with the Pawame Leadership Team, the successful candidate must possess outstanding leadership and communication skills in addition to their business analytical toolkit.
Responsibilities and Qualifications
As a Corporate Development Manager for Pawame, your responsibilities will include:
Strategy & Planning
- Develop, implement and maintain Pawame’s Enterprise Performance Management process document to ensure clarity and alignment within the organization on Pawame’s approach to strategy, planning and performance management.
- Develop and manage implementation of long-term strategy and strategic programs of work, including Pawame’s Cash Flow Breakeven (CFBE) Program plan, to ensure organizational clarity, alignment, and focus.
- Develop, implement and manage Pawame’s Business Planning process (including functional planning and staffing planning & budgeting) to ensure clear communication and assignment of accountability for Pawame’s plan of work, performance targets/KPIs, and associated resource requirements.
- Manage the Business Plan on an ongoing basis, including implementation and management of appropriate change controls, to ensure the Business Plan remains current and subject to appropriate governance.
- Develop and implement a suitable Program/Project Management Framework (processes, tools, reports) to support and drive successful implementation of strategic programs of work, including Pawame’s current Cash Flow Breakeven (CFBE) Program plan
- Manage and oversee successful execution of the CFBE Program plan
- Performance Management & Reporting
- Develop a controlled document that sets out an effective, uniform Pawame approach to performance measurement, including development of effective KPIs, target setting, documentation of KPI definitions and calculation methods, and measures to ensure data integrity in reporting.
- Develop, implement and manage the Pawame Monthly Reporting (PMR) process to provide timely, accurate, and actionable data on progress and performance against the business plan to Pawame leadership and external stakeholders.
- Coordinate preparation for and management of the Pawame’s Monthly Review Meeting (MRM).
- Analyze business performance and develop proposals for initiatives to drive performance improvement.
- Lead initiatives to streamline, facilitate, and/or automate management and reporting of business performance data, including KPI dashboards and potential business intelligence solutions.
- Collaborate with Human Resources and/or other relevant stakeholders to ensure that enterprise performance management cascades and interfaces seamlessly with individual employee performance management.
- New Business Development
- Identify, analyze and develop new business opportunities including new geographies,
Key Cross-Functional Relationship and Interfaces
- Development, ongoing management of and reporting against the corporate business plan.
- Management and oversight of the Cash Flow Breakeven (CFBE) program plan.
- Development and implementation of periodic business plans and budgets• Reporting against approved business plans and budgets
- Development and use of Pawame’s financial model in developing corporate strategy and investor materials.
- Development of financial analyses in support of special projects, business cases, etc.
- Ensure that enterprise performance management cascades and interfaces seamlessly with individual employee performance management.
Sound exciting? Here’s who we are looking for.
Skills & Qualifications
- 5+ years of progressive responsibility and track record of success in management consulting, strategy and planning, and/or program/project management roles with a major company.
- Extensive experience partnering with cross functional executive teams
- Commercial acumen. Expert in the understanding and application of theoretical and practical approaches to business and business management
- Ability to analyze financial data/reports and produce actionable insights that drive of business performance, generally and in specific problem areas.
- Ability to think strategically, i.e.:
- To think about a complex system in a holistic, integrated fashion.
- To link strategy to implementation and develop strategically-focused plans
- Business strategy and planning skills
- Strong general management skills
- Comfort with information technology