EWB Canada is seeking a highly motivated and passionate leader to join our Community Team to deliver and improve the support we provide to our community. Your mission will be to support the growth and mobilization of our Canadian community.
Who we are:
Engineers Without Borders unlocks human potential in sub-Saharan Africa by investing in forward-thinking social enterprises. We support local innovators to accelerate their impact and apply their innovations on a global scale, to the benefit of millions. In Canada, we unlock human potential by fostering a community of leaders—supporting a network of established thought leaders while developing the next generation of pioneers.
Specifically, in the leadership and talent development stream of our work, EWB engages young people in learning about and taking action towards systemic change that is aligned with our mission. We believe it’s critical to invest in growing young people into dynamic, socially and systemically minded leaders who challenge the status quo. This is something the world needs and this is the foundation for EWB’s collective action.
Your opportunity is to take the size and structure of EWB’s Canadian community to the next level.
One of EWB Canada’s core missions is to grow people’s potential to create deep, lasting change at scale, in Canada and Africa. In Canada, we support leaders from across the country in taking thoughtful action in their communities, campuses, companies, and beyond. We do this through our national network of 40 university and city chapters as well as an extensive network of alumn across Canada.
As the Community Mobilization Coordinator you will play a core role in growing and mobilizing our community to help advance EWBs global anti-poverty campaigns and impact work to create sustainable change for the world we wish to see. We’re looking for someone who knows how to inspire and mobilize people to be part of something bigger, to take meaningful action alongside EWB and the wider community to move forward our anti-poverty goals. We’re also looking for top-notch execution, someone who can provide high level support to individual community member while leveraging innovative project management and organizational skills to scale this support.
Some of the key strategic questions you will be thinking about are:
- How can we help our community members channel their energy towards taking action to build sustainable and inclusive economies? [read more about EWB’s SIE work here]
- How can we scale our model of community mobilization even more? [how can we facilitate becoming a “starfish” organization]
- How can we foster connections with and between our vibrant cross-Canada community in person and online?
As the Community Support Coordinator you provide direct support to our Canadian community with an eye to long-term growth. You will respond to present needs as well as designing and planning out processes and systems to improve and expand our support in the future. In particular, in this role you will be responsible for:
- Community Mobilization
- In collaboration with other teams (Communications, Fundraising, Advocacy, Program/SIE) implement and execute EWB’s mobilization strategy.
- Ensure the integration of community mobilization activities into campaign strategies/SIE initiatives as appropriate, by working in close collaboration with other staff as part of cross-functional project teams.
- Working with community members, facilitate the design, development and implementation of engagement activities that help achieve EWB impact/campaign objectives
- Growth of EWB’s Community
- Grow the number of campus chapters across Canada, as well as the respective sizes of those chapters
- Support EWB’s network of young professionals in City Chapters to grow and
- Support and facilitate growth of EWB’s Alumni community
- Execute member retention and engagement strategies
- Chapter Communications
- Authoring & delivering of all direct communications to Presidents and Executives at EWB chapters (currently includes the weekly President’s Email and the Weekly Round-up to executives)
- Developing additional communications that will serve the purpose of aligning, strengthening and mobilizing the energy of EWB’s Community
- First point of contact for chapter members’ questions
- Direct questions/engagements from members to appropriate staff
- Addressing or identifying strategic methods for systematically responding to information requests
- Direct Coaching and Leadership Development
- Build our strategy for mentorship between staff and chapters
- Provide leadership development coaching directly to presidents and community members
- Online animation and engagement
- Facebook and social media animation
- Stimulating online engagement
- Animate and invest in EWB’s online community
- Leverage existing digital communication channels to inspire more discussion and engagement
- Collaboration with National Office Staff
- Staff and team meetings
- Weekly check-in meetings
- Email coordination with staff
- Verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to clearly and compellingly communicate the
- Bilingual French-English preferred.
- Leadership skills
- Ability to lead, train, mentor and motivate EWB’s community of systems change leaders
- Experience leading and being part of action oriented communities
- Excellent facilitation skills
- Organization, planning and time management skills
- Highly organized and able to meet deadlines and prioritize projects and tasks
- Experience enabling the performance of decentralized and hybrid organisations
- Understanding of current Canadian campus realities and landscape
- Knowledge and experience of volunteer management, including but not limited to recruiting, engaging, training and organizing volunteers.
- Knowledge, understanding and commitment to poverty alleviation and positive social change
- Experience with EWB’s Community an asset
In addition, you are coming into an organisation where the cultural expectation is that you:
- You are excited by challenges, motivated by positive social change, and flourish in collaborative environments.
- You are comfortable with ambiguity and have a mind geared to systems change
- You are an owner: take responsibility for finding a way to get things done and deliver value to EWB & our community- be proactive about improving things where they need to be improved.
- You have a sense of humour! We take our work seriously, but we try not to take ourselves too seriously.
- You are as cool as a cucumber under pressure: this job is about solving really hard problems, so by definition it is unpredictable and can get stressful, so it’s important to keep perspective and show you can make informed decisions in busy times when obvious answers aren’t there.
- You are an awesome teammate: everything comes back to trust and respect
This position will be based in Toronto, Canada, at EWB’s head office, with occasional travel.
Compensation & Benefits:
- Competitive salary based on experience
- Health & dental package
- $1500 professional development fund
- 3 weeks of vacation
- Opportunity to travel within Canada
- You work with outstanding, passionate, intelligent people trying to change the world
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. You must submit your application using the “Apply Now” button.
You should submit your resume and a cover letter. In your cover letter (or any other medium you choose), show us: 1) your personality – we want to know you’re not a robot (or if you are a robot, why you’re a really special robot!); and 2) why you’re the right fit for EWB and this position at this time. We want to know how your experience and specific track record makes you the right person for us.
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. EWB is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered.