Type: Engineering, Operations
Role: Chief Technical Officer
Venture: ENERGY GENERATION
Location: Accra, Ghana
Deadline: July 7, 2019
About ENERGY GENERATION
Energy Generation is an organization which supports young Africans in addressing their generation’s challenges through entrepreneurship and technological innovation, focusing on access to energy issues.
2016, we set up the first training center offering an intensive one-year training program for entrepreneurship in the field of energy in Lome, Togo. Since then, Energy Generation has trained young entrepreneurs from 12 different countries.
Energy Generation is at a turning point of its history, pivoting and scaling. Starting October 2019, we aim at opening a second training center in Ghana, welcoming 100 students every year and delivering high standard graduate courses on entrepreneurship for development.
In partnership with Energy Generation, as a Fellow with Engineers Without Borders Canada (EWB Canada), you will be placed as a Chief Technical Officer with Energy Generation to work with their team in Ghana. Throughout your Fellowship with EWB, you will receive guidance, mentorship and financial support from the community in Canada and in East and West Africa.
About Engineers Without Borders Canada
EWB is a free-thinking charitable organization that brings people and ideas together to tackle the most crucial causes of poverty and inequality. We nurture talent and leadership, enable social entrepreneurship and advocate for policy innovations to cross-breed systems-changing innovations to ensure economic and public opportunity reaches everyone, including the most underserved and marginalized populations, especially women and girls.
As Energy Generation is a young fast evolving structure, we are looking for passionate and skilled candidates to join our team. We look for people who share our vision and are eager to make a real impact. The ideal candidates must be autonomous, flexible and above all proactive in carrying out their missions. A strong team spirit, good resistance to stress and the ability to manage unexpected events are also valuable.
As a Chief Technical Officer Manager at ENERGY GENERATION, your responsibilities will include:
Training programs design
- Design technical trainings to be delivered in the frame of graduate courses;
- Design other technical trainings addressed to young entrepreneurs;
- Assist our students and project holders in developing they prototypes.
- Ensure a gender lens is applied in all technical trainings and development of prototypes such that it attracts young women and other marginalized groups to build their skillset and therefore increase their economic opportunities
Training programs management
- Manage relationships with trainers and professional experts, assist them in the development of training contents with consideration of gender needs;
- Manage partnerships with companies and universities;
- Set expectations of code of conduct as it relates to how they interact with trainees to provide an inclusive, encouraging, safe space for learning (this will include developing policies and guidelines around code of conduct, sexual assault, harassment and bullying;
- Design and moderate technical trainings with gender inclusive and intersectional approach;
- Ensure a technical follow-up of incubated project’s achievements, especially during the prototyping phase;
- Document achievements as it relates to how many people have benefited from the training; collect disaggregated data to create baseline of who has benefited from training including women and other marginalized groups.
- Implement the Makerspace development plan;
- Lead discussions with technical and financial partners;
- Provide technical support to the Makerspace’s users.
Sound exciting? Here’s who we are looking for.
Skills & Qualifications
- Master degree in Engineering (generalist, mechanical, electrical or energy engineering);
- Previous work experiences in a research and development department;
- Fluency in written and oral English and French;
- Mastery of 3D design software considered an asset;
- Background in gender inclusion, diversity and mainstreaming;
- Ability to develop policies related to code of conduct;
- Awareness of cross-cultural communication and ability to maintain constructive relationships with a diverse set of key stakeholders;
- Experiences in Africa and/or as an entrepreneur are highly valuable;
- Knowledge of access to energy and education issues in Africa would be appreciated;
- Team player, committed and result-oriented.
- For inquiries about the EWB Fellowship experience, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For inquiries about the role with Energy Generation, please contact: Astria Fataki
For further details, please refer to our website.