Type: Impact Investment, Business
Role: Chief Financial Officer
Venture: ENERGY GENERATION
Location: Accra, Ghana
Deadline: July 14, 2019
About ENERGY GENERATION
Energy Generation is an organization which supports young Africans in addressing their generation’s challenges through entrepreneurship and technological innovation, focusing on access to energy issues.
2016, we set up the first training center offering an intensive one-year training program for entrepreneurship in the field of energy in Lome, Togo. Since then, Energy Generation has trained young entrepreneurs from 12 different countries.
Energy Generation is at a turning point of its history, pivoting and scaling. Starting October 2019, we aim at opening a second training center in Ghana, welcoming 100 students every year and delivering high standard graduate courses on entrepreneurship for development.
In partnership with Energy Generation, as a Fellow with Engineers Without Borders Canada (EWB Canada), you will be placed as a Chief Financial Officer with Energy Generation to work with their team in Ghana. Throughout your Fellowship with EWB, you will receive guidance, mentorship and financial support from the community in Canada and in East and West Africa.
About Engineers Without Borders Canada
EWB is a free-thinking charitable organization that brings people and ideas together to tackle the most crucial causes of poverty and inequality. We nurture talent and leadership, enable social entrepreneurship and advocate for policy innovations to cross-breed systems-changing innovations to ensure economic and public opportunity reaches everyone, including the most underserved and marginalized populations, especially women and girls.
As Energy Generation is a young fast evolving structure, we are looking for passionate and skilled candidates to join our team. We look for people who share our vision and are eager to make a real impact. The ideal candidates must be autonomous, flexible and above all proactive in carrying out their missions. A strong team spirit, good resistance to stress and the ability to manage unexpected events are also valuable.
As a Chief Financial Officer at ENERGY GENERATION, your responsibilities will include:
Accounting and management control:
- Ensure that the accounts are properly managed and that the association’s accounting documents are drawn up;
- Improve the association’s financial and administrative management system.
Cash flow and financing:
- Supervise the association’s treasury;
- Define the cash flow budget in order to anticipate external financing needs;
- Manage fundraisings;
- Participate in the development of the association’s financial resources management strategy;
- Establish and update financial dashboards;
- Control established agreements and commitments.
Venture Capital Seed Fund:
- Design and implement investment and reporting processes;
- empowerment of marginalized groups including women, identify opportunities to increase female talent and leadership within Energy Generation;
- Support the set up of a Venture Capital Seed Fund;
- Lead discussions with potential investors / partners / funds of funds / etc.
Sound exciting? Here’s who we are looking for.
Skills & Qualifications
- Master degree in Finance / Business Administration;
- Previous work experiences as a Financial officer / manager or other relevant position;
- Fluency in written and oral English and French;
- Knowledge of Gender Lens Investing – Experience in GLI considered an asset;
- Knowledge of gender budgets – Experience in creating and/or auditing gender budgets considered an asset;
- Awareness of cross-cultural communication and ability to maintain constructive relationships with a diverse set of key stakeholders;
- Experiences in Africa and/or as an entrepreneur are highly valuable;
- Knowledge of access to energy and education issues in Africa would be appreciated;
- Team player, committed and result-oriented.
- For inquiries about the EWB Fellowship experience, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For inquiries about the role with Energy Generation, please contact: Astria Fataki
For further details, please refer to our website.