Type: Engineering, Technology Development
Role: Senior Full Stack Software Engineer
Venture: Maisha Meds
Location: Kisumu, Kenya
Deadline: July 7, 2019
About Maisha Meds
1 in 10 medical products in developing countries are counterfeit or substandard. Maisha Meds is helping to address this problem in East Africa.
We help small, local pharmacies partner with vetted suppliers to ensure high quality medicines are stocked and sold. We also offer working capital to pharmacies to help them grow their businesses.
We do this through an Android app that helps pharmacies manage inventory as well as serve as a point-of-sales tool. Our software is used by hundreds of pharmacies in Kenya to support hundreds of thousands of patients each year. We’re rapidly expanding our user base and currently expanding to neighbouring countries.
Maisha Meds aims to leverage technology to solve problems that affect millions across sub-Saharan Africa. Though we can’t offer you catered meals like in Silicon Valley, we can offer you an opportunity to drive real, quantifiable change that literally saves lives. We’re dedicated to our work and care deeply about our product’s impact. You’ll join our small and friendly team to grow Maisha Meds into a company serving tens of millions of people.
Our company is based in Kisumu and we’d love to have you join us on-site (but we’re flexible about remote work for the right candidate).
In partnership with Maisha Meds, as a Fellow with Engineers Without Borders Canada (EWB Canada) , you will be placed as a Senior Full Stack Software with Maisha Meds to work their team in Uganda. Throughout your Fellowship with EWB, you will receive guidance, mentorship and financial support from the community in Canada and in East and West Africa.
About Engineers Without Borders Canada (EWB)
EWB is a free-thinking charitable organization that brings people and ideas together to tackle the most crucial causes of poverty and inequality. We nurture talent and leadership, enable social entrepreneurship and advocate for policy innovations to cross-breed systems-changing innovations to ensure economic and public opportunity reaches everyone, including the most underserved and marginalized populations, especially women and girls.
Through our leadership curriculum and Fellowships Program, we offer experiential learning opportunities in Canada and sub-Saharan Africa to launch future shapers equipped to understand and re-engineer complex social systems. For more information, visit ewb.ca.
We’ve got a ton of data about medications and pharmaceutical sales, and we’re looking for someone to help us build web-based dashboards to visualize the data. These dashboards will be software products for users of the Android app to visualize and export their data.
Some responsibilities include:
- Building a new backend to serve data from a legacy Postgres database;
- Building a frontend to visually display charts, graphs, and other representations of data;
- Communicating achievements as it relates to the health and well-being of women and girls.
Sounds exciting? Here’s who we are looking for.
Skills & Qualifications:
- 3+ years of experience of building customer-facing web applications;
- Experience with a modern web framework (we prefer Django or Rails);
- History of writing clean, well-documented code and automated tests;
- Awareness of cross-cultural communication and ability to maintain constructive relationships with diverse set of key stakeholders (our team is a mix of people from Kenya and other countries).
- For inquiries about the EWB Fellowship experience, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For inquiries about the role with Maisha Meds, please contact: Jessica Vernon
For further details, please refer to our website.