Type: Business,Engineering, Marketing, Operations, Communications
Role: Matunda Hub Fellow
Venture: Matunda Hub
Location: Soroti, Uganda.
Deadline: July 7 2019
About Matunda Hub
Matunda Hub is an Agribusiness Incubator based in Soroti, Eastern Uganda, to nurture and empower youth to transform their business ideas into fruitful businesses by providing entrepreneurship capacity building, coaching, mentorship and access to seed funding and like-minded stakeholders. We are geared towards championing the creation of competitive enterprises and develop the start-up ecosystem through focusing on the fruit value chains (orange, mango, pineapple, passion fruit).For self-sustainability, we are processing fruits into dried fruit snacks under Matunda Ventures Ltd. and our brand Ejijim. We seek to develop and sell fruit products that disrupt the market and provide above-average income for their producers.
In partnership with Matunda Hub, as a Fellow with Engineers Without Borders Canada (EWB Canada) , you will be placed with Matunda Hub to work their team in Uganda. Throughout your Fellowship with EWB, you will receive guidance, mentorship and financial support from the community in Canada and in East and West Africa.
About Engineers Without Borders Canada (EWB)
EWB is a free-thinking charitable organization that brings people and ideas together to tackle the most crucial causes of poverty and inequality. We nurture talent and leadership, enable social entrepreneurship and advocate for policy innovations to cross-breed systems-changing innovations to ensure economic and public opportunity reaches everyone, including the most underserved and marginalized populations, especially women and girls.
Through our leadership curriculum and Fellowships Program, we offer experiential learning opportunities in Canada and sub-Saharan Africa to launch future shapers equipped to understand and re-engineer complex social systems. For more information, visit ewb.ca.
At Matunda Hub, we envision a world where every young person in Uganda has the opportunity to be employed or self-employed to pursue a decent living. As a start-up, we believe in and build upon innovative and disrupting approaches to solve social and economic problems, such as unemployment, poverty and skills redundancy, as a key to impact and change. We are therefore looking for a hands-on, creative and open-minded candidate to support our social venture.
We are currently seeking Fellows to work in one or more of the following departments:
- Business Development Support: Coaching & Mentorship for Incubatees
- Engineering: Research & Development of Solar Drying Technology
- Communication: Product and Social Media Marketing
- Talent Management: Human Resources, Personal Development, Team building
- Operations: Supply chain, logistics, quality standards
- Market Development & Sales: Dried Fruit Snacks & other related products
As a Fellow for Matunda Hub, your responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Supporting the agribusiness incubator and/or agro-processing arm in streamlining business operations towards improved efficiency and service delivery;
- Working in selected or cross-cutting departments to support overall company growth;
- Providing Business Development Support services for incubatees and partners.
Sound exciting? Here’s who we are looking for.
Required Skills & Qualifications
- Masters or Undergraduate Degree or Diploma in any relevant field;
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Intercultural sensitivity and adaptability to new environments;
- Confident and self-motivated;
- Open-mindedness to work in a start-up environment;
- Awareness of cross-cultural communication and ability to maintain constructive relationships with diverse set of key stakeholders.
- Knowledge of Gender Lens Investing. Experience in GLI is an asset;
- Background in gender inclusion, diversity and mainstreaming.
- For inquiries about the EWB Fellowship experience, please contact: email@example.com
- For inquiries about the role with Matunda Hub, please contact: Jana Giles & Natalie Enriquez-Birch.
For further details, please refer to our website.