Type: Technical Development
Role: Data and Learning Specialist
Venture: African Management Initiative
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Deadline: July, 14 2019
About African Management Initiative
AMI is a pan-African entrepreneurial social business that is pioneering a scalable approach to workplace learning and skills development for Africa. AMI empowers African managers, entrepreneurs and young professionals through practical and accessible learning and development tools. We help businesses develop productive and motivated workforces, we help entrepreneurs build thriving enterprises, and we help job seekers develop new skills and advance their careers. AMI is expanding rapidly. We have successfully raised investment, established offices in Nairobi and Johannesburg, engaged clients in East, West and Southern Africa, and have trained over 20,000 people in 11 countries in Africa.
In partnership with AMI, as a Fellow with Engineers Without Borders Canada (EWB Canada), you will be placed as a Data and Learning Specialist with AMI to work with their team in Kenya. Throughout your Fellowship with EWB, you will receive guidance, mentorship and financial support from the community in Canada and in East and West Africa.
About Engineers Without Borders Canada (EWB)
EWB is a free-thinking charitable organization that brings people and ideas together to tackle the most crucial causes of poverty and inequality. We nurture talent and leadership, enable social entrepreneurship and advocate for policy innovations to cross-breed systems-changing innovations to ensure economic and public opportunity reaches everyone, including the most underserved and marginalized populations, especially women and girls.
Through our leadership curriculum and Fellowships Program, we offer experiential learning opportunities in Canada and sub-Saharan Africa to launch future shapers equipped to understand and re-engineer complex social systems. For more information, visit ewb.ca.
At AMI, we are young company that is obsessed with driving impact at scale in a way that is sustainable and will allow us to keep doing It for a long time to come. This mission means that we need to remain innovative while operating at a budget that would make those Silicon Valley Learning Teachers faint. We are able to do this by hiring young, talented team members in the areas in which we operate and using our internal talent, networks and partners to help us train and grow our team to be world leaders. EWB fellows play an important role in helping us to build our internal systems and tools and train our local teams on international best practice.
The ideal candidate in this role will be someone who is passionate about data and interested in being a mentor to a passionate product team. You are adept at using large data sets to interrogate learning outcomes within online and blended learning programmes, finding opportunities for product and process optimization and using models to test the effectiveness of different courses of action. You need to need be comfortable working with a wide range of stakeholders and functional teams.
As a Data and Learning Specialist for AMI, your responsibilities will include:
- Informing the company strategy through core data collection, analysis, visualisation and reporting.
- Support in the identification of correct data sets and variables required to meet AMI’s impact and learning strategy
- Manage the collection and analysis of large sets of data across core activities (sales, programme implementation, product feedback)
- Identify data-analytic problems that offer the greatest opportunities to the organisation and communicate findings to stakeholders using visualisation and other means.
- Contribute to AMI roadmap / design for core data collection, analysis and visualisation tools (for core learning app)
Sound exciting? Here’s who we are looking for.
Skills & Qualifications
You must have strong experience using a variety of data mining/data analysis methods, using a variety of data tools, building and implementing models, using/creating algorithms and creating/running simulations. You should have a passion for discovering solutions hidden in large data sets and working with stakeholders to improve business outcomes.
- Technical qualifications / experience: (required)
- We’re looking for someone with 4-3 years of experience manipulating data sets and building statistical models,
- Has a Masters or PHD in Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science or another quantitative field,
- Experience with core relevant languages, architectures and machine learning techniques
- Knowledge of advanced statistical techniques and concepts (regression, properties of distributions, statistical tests and proper usage, etc.) and experience with applications.
- Knowledge and experience in statistical and data mining techniques. (nice to have)
- Experience with distributed data/computing tools: Map/Reduce, Hadoop, Hive, Spark, Gurobi, MySQL, etc. (nice to have)
- Experience analyzing data from 3rd party providers: Google Analytics, Site Catalyst, Coremetrics, Adwords, Crimson Hexagon, Facebook Insights, etc.
- Experience visualizing/presenting data for stakeholders using: Periscope, Business Objects, D3, etc.
- General skills / experience (required)
- A drive to learn and master new technologies and techniques
- Motivated, self-starter, independent worker
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Proven interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work across multi-disciplinary teams
- Able to communicate with audiences using multiple channels such as engaging presentations and training exercises, interesting and relevant reports and other written materials.
- Strong data ‘translation,’ visualisation and creative presentation skills to communicate results to people without technical backgrounds.
- Contextual knowledge (desired)
- Relevant experience working on MEL frameworks – managing data within a learning, online learning, blended learning or relevant programmatic MEL context
- Demonstrated ability to use monitoring and evaluation findings to inform adjustments to program in order to maximize project effectiveness.
- For inquiries about the EWB Fellowship experience, please contact: email@example.com
- For inquiries about the role with AMI, please contact: Bronwen McConkey
For further details, please refer to our website.